Design and Mobile
Having a good looking website is generally number one on the list of most business owners website checklist.
And for a good reason, as it is the face of their company online.
So it is no surprise that most website builders are trained designers.
Unfortunately, designers forget the real reason for a website; to attract leads, customers or sales.
The design should work with the content.
- It is the content, text, that Google uses to understand your website so that it can show it on search results.
- It is the content that communicates your products and services to prospective customers.
- The content encourages the visitor to take the desired action on your website.
I design a theme comprising of the colours, fonts and basic feel of the website. Then write the text and lastly combine it all together so both the look and content compliment each other.
All this preparation design and content writing is done on mobile screen sizes first, with an eye on desktop, then scaled to suit the screen size.
This is because more than half of your website visitors will view your website on a mobile or tablet sized screen -
- In 2018 52.2% of global online traffic was on a mobile or tablet.*
- 51% of customers say that they use mobile devices to discover new brands and products (BrightEdge, 2017)*
- 69% of smartphone users also say that they are more likely to buy from companies with mobile sites that easily address their questions or concerns (BrightEdge, 2017)*
- 57% of users say they won’t recommend a business with a poorly designed mobile site (socPub)*
And Google now indexes most websites mobile layouts first.
So if your website doesn't look good and perform on a mobile screen, Google may never show your website on its search results.